This quick tutorial will show you the steps to change and reset any user password on a windows computer, and also show you how to protect your computer from people doing this to you!
CHANGE/RESET PASSWORD FOR ANY USERNAME
- Reboot the computer
- Right after the bios is finished, hit F8 (or F2,10,12)
- Select ‘Safe mode’ or ‘Safe mode with networking support’
- Windows will boot up to the logon screen. Click administrator, 9/10 there is no password.
- Do, Start->Run->type ‘command’
- At the prompt, type ‘net user’ which will display a list of usernames. Find the one you are looking for, try ‘net user username’ for them all. Type ‘net user /HELP’ for more info.
- To reset the password type ‘net user username *’ where username is the username you want to reset.
- For no password, leave blank.
- Now, reboot and you can login as that user.
If a user's domain account has been locked or if you cannot login to a network resource anymore, just login physically and unlock the account with
net user username /ACTIVE